Home / Games / Shifter Game: Snakes & Ladders
Shifter: Snakes & Ladders
Premise: Natural born shifter born in 1700s steampunk world. At 6, whilst playing in the garden, he slides between timelines. He talks about this to others, of course, but they all assume that he just has an active imagination. At 9, when puberty hits, he forgets all about his childhood adventures, and quickly comes to believe that it was just a normal product of imagination. When he gets older, he becomes a theosophist and takes peyoye. On the drug, he slides once again, but crosses a Nexus sampling point and raises the alarm. A shifter team must be dispatched to stop what’s going on.
Archangel of Nanoplankton Sector
- 506: 17th century steampunk. Our slider starts here, and there is a flicker of Grey Epoch signal from around 1782 to 1822 AD which is when our slider is active. The major religion is Zen Christianity, a merging of the two religions that occured because of the Eastern nations having a more exploratory past, and having an empire of their own which washed over parts of Europe and changed the face of the world’s religions.
- 95: This is a fairly standard R type variant (following what we would consider ‘traditional history’), except around 4,000 BC when Maroth ‘visits’ Mesopotamia and sets the seeds of the events that will cause the 95.1 variant, below.
- 95.3: American technocracy flourishes. US becomes pretty much a police state, and much money poured into space research. At the end of the timeline, around 3079 AD they are beginning to experiment in time travel, but the research is going too poorly, and the variant collapses.
- 95.305: With a little extra time, they successfully generate primative time travel. At the current state, they are about to make a huge ‘time travel gate’ using a black hole. However, if they are successful, there will be a huge timequake in this sector, with an unknown outcome.
- 95.7: The drugs revolution of the 1960s is successful, and drugs become decriminalised. For a while, America is the land of the Free. Then, the Union of Soviet States of Asia (USSA) invades. From inside, drugs terrorists work to free the world, and eventually succeed in 2516 AD. Then, the return to nature that results destroys the timeline.
- 95.72: As above, but slightly more time is allowed, owing to the reshuffle.
- 95.1: A new timeline caused by the slider’s involvement. His childhood slides were to ancient Mesopotamia where he was acknowledged as a god and known as Maroth. In this timeline, he reappears in the middle of the drugs revolution, where he is heralded as the messiah. Genetic memory has recorded his earlier appearance, and use of acid reawakens this knowledge. Maroth, having been raised as a Zen Christian (from his own timeline) uses his powers as a psyker (now reawakened) to bring the religion into domination where it persists for 800 years. There is no reason for this variant’s demise, other than not being as good an entropy producer as its neighbour as it failed to reach the Violet epoch.
- Dispatch one team of shifters to repair damage to variants in Archangel of Nanoplankton Sector and to determine the cause of the disturbance.
- All operating shifter teams are reminded that Professor Japhel’s new information entropy enhancers have been fitted to all computer systems to ensure that the abstract entropy levels are kept high. Consequently, there is likely to be more random noise affecting data storage and transmission in Nexus than usual.
- New sensory information gathered for Archangel of Nanoplankton Sector has discovered that the mission should prove to be comparatively simple. It seems abmobn atoina l’asesmbyl bozoe sh1 fti hrdiahdoo t0ba in b&y Frec niteim 560 van t9 peag toina nicentcvi ziliation: rhaDih8d 95 anvtaeg n;ipon t, noEncct wt@hi acre" miec asinug amin neresgin ershfufle. Renteeeee[ couopit meiz tri-eelcfd+ie tehe rrAk adN l;ief sghiftre a c xiedny cxu1vUil0asaqtonj#h xomngtoipPfresaswyh.
- Remember: After destroying a civilisation, always wash your hands.
This Space Left Intentionally Bivou%ca
Europe's Only Games-Producing Secret Society